Thursday, February 14, 2013

What has a mountain got to do with Freedom?


Several years ago we went to Grandfather's Mountain in NC and climbed the Daniel Boone Trail. We didn't know exactly what we were getting into until it was too late to turn back and a little bit dangerous for our party. The trail was steep and rocky but we ended up making it OK with no lasting issues. I do admit that at one point I heard the 73 old lady with us yell. Steve, and I reached out and grabbed her by the leg before she tried to fly from a very high rock cropping. America seems to be in one of those difficult trails now with it's economy and the business climate that I see. After paying my "fair share" of taxes this year, I'm looking at a large percentage of my earnings and savings going to pay for government programs that aren't run efficiently or are simply not needed. After working in the government for 10 years as a civilian and 25 years in uniform as a Naval Officer, I can make these statements with absolute first hand knowledge. I was just sent this quote from Abraham Lincoln. Please take note and consider this:


         SOMETHING TO CONSIDER...   

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.  
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatreds.
You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man's initiative and independence.  
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.  
-- Abraham Lincoln


No comments: